Friday, September 5, 2014

homemade upholstery webbing stretcher

Because I'm cheep and impatient (I'd have to all the way into to Columbus or wait for it to be shipped and it did cost $30 after all), I did what any girl would do... googled "how to make an upholstery webbing stretcher." 

It won't win a beauty contest, but it works! I used a scrap of board, leftover construction nails, craft glue and a bit of the webbing. 
  • Clip the heads of the nails off with a bolt cutter
  • Drill holes in the cut end of the board and add glue
  • Insert the nails pointy ends out
  • Tack a bit of webbing on the other end to protect the furniture

And now a cute little chair complete with a seat that you won't fall through!

Monday, June 2, 2014

hay rounds

Yesterday we came home after church to the hay bailed and rolled into glorious rounds. I feel so incredibly blessed to live in such a beautiful part of Ohio and get to look at this on the back of our property! We dream big dreams of farms and hay fields and livestock and thought we'd never see them start to grow. God is good! There are yet bigger dreams. I can't wait to see where God takes us!

Friday, May 30, 2014

make hay

Today our amazing neighbor cut the hay in our fields, cause you see that big tractor pulling the cutter thing, we don't have those. (Nor do us city girls know the names of those machines.) He'll come back to rake it and bale it into big beautiful round bales of hay! Sustenance for the future.

We dream of that future, too. This some day of ours. Plan. Work. And figure. How many cows could that field support? A bull? How many feet of fencing? How big a barn? And a tractor? Count the pennies. Draw up plans. Baby step. Make hay.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

bad paint job and hope for the future

I was disappointed to wake up this morning (eager to move on to painting the trim on the back porch) only to find the paint dried blotchy. The walls are grooved panels and after the first coat I went back and brushed the paint into the groves. Sure, it looked blotchy then but after a typical second coat I was hoping the problem would be resolved. It is not. It's better, but still... uh, let's say, it is not good. Tonight I'll try a third coat. 

Given this is the primary entrance to the house I want to get it right. I want it to reflect our personality and that of the house. I want it to be functional for a family of 6 (occasionally 7) and the paraphernalia that occupies them. And I want it to be pleasing to look at. I've spent some time thinking this over and planning. 

A blotchy, bad paint job fits not into the vision. But... a rustic potting table and herringbone brick, wellies all lined up, maybe the perfect screen door, and the back door painted black... these ARE part of the vision, to be sure!

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

cat and mouse

Today I played cat and mouse with the storm clouds and the laundry on the line--keeping one eye on the rain on the other side of the valley guessing it's arrival time, and the other eye on the red-crested woodpecker in the black walnut tree.

I would have been faster hanging the laundry if I'd just kept focus on what I was doing. But what fun is there in that? 

In between running the laundry in and out, doing school work with the kids, managing the 8 and 11-year-olds as they cleaned up after dinner, and chasing around an 18-month-old, I put the second coat of paint on the back porch. Thanks to my big girls for helping with the baby!

Almost everyone that comes to the house comes to the back door and this porch is the first thing everyone sees. I tore out the green indoor/outdoor carpet, hubby added some quarter round at the baseboard, and we're on our way to setting the tone and making a good impression with this first peek into our home. Is that a weird thing to concern oneself with? I don't want the first impression to be a dirty closet overflowing with shoes, Big Bird yellow paint, and a dumping ground for whatever we've carried in from the barn. This really is a beautiful house and the porch has been neglected for too long!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

thoughts on an old farmhouse

Thinking about our old farmhouse and the projects I'm itching to start is all I've done this winter. Thinking. With the breaking of winter and the promise of summer, thoughts turn to action! 

When I committed to taking a year to live in the house without any major projects or changes, I thought there'd at least be some major painting going on. Instead we've put our money into things unseen... septic systems, well pumps, hot water tanks, water softeners. 

It's good to have the major systems on the house in order. All other things will come in due time. 

Although we're not so sure the air conditioner will come on this summer.

Pin It button on image hover